Epic Games has asked for the community’s help with naming a CTF map in Unreal Tournament III. It’s great to see developers involving the fans like this. I imagine the person who’s name suggestion ends up getting picked will have some serious bragging rights for years to come.
If you’re serious about helping Epic out then here are some tips from them:
- It has to sound cool!
- The name must be of the form “CTF-Name”. Multi-word names should be capitalized, i.e., “CTF-FirstSecondThirdWord”.
- Don’t be silly with using names trademarked by someone else, immature stuff, etc.
- The name has to fit the mood. This level takes place in orbit around Omicron 6, the home of the sinister Necris. CTF-HappySunriseBunnyKisses is not appropriate.
- The name has to relate to the map closely, so that if someone says the map name you’ll know which one they mean. For example, a map with a big suspension bridge is called CTF-Suspense. The UT DM map with the deadly pressure chamber was called DM-Pressure. We’ve broken this rule sometimes, but it’s something we’re paying more attention to in UT3.
- For this map, the obvious hook is the gorgeous skybox with the star (Omicron) rising over the planet’s horizon.
And here are three screenshots of the map in question to attract your muse:
If you think you can offer a cool name for the UT3 team, head over to the official forums and leave it there.