Havok has announced two new products at GDC – Havok Cloth and Havok Destruction. The two new additions to the company’s offerings will work with the already available Havok Physics and Havok Animation out-of-the-box, and do exactly what you’d think – give developers more control when it comes to interactive cloth and and blowing stuff up.
Havok’s Managing Director David O’Meara said the new products will add both “depth and breadth” to their software line-up while David Coghlan, Vice President of Development, added that Havok Cloth will “significantly enhance the visual impact of on-screen characters” and that Havok Destruction will deliver “unprecedented levels of physics mayhem.”
Hit the break for more information on both and there’s another little video in need of your attention as well.
Havok Cloth is a new performance-optimized development tool designed to minimize the time that game artists spend on animating the behavior of character garments and environmental cloth. It enables increased realism for cutting-edge games, is easily customizable and fits into today’s workflow without burdening artists, animators or programmers.
- Highly realistic physically-based simulation of cloth and character clothing with low CPU and memory overhead
- Multithreaded and platform-optimized (including PLAYSTATION 3)
- Artist-driven control of the full range of cloth behavioral properties such as stretching, damping and bending
- Artist-friendly, modeller-based, cloth setup tools
Havok Destruction is the cross-platform tool for simulation of rigid body destruction. Destruction gives the game artist total control over the simulation, drastically reducing the production time and cost of creating large numbers of realistic destructible game objects. Havok Destruction can create a completely new game play experience by giving additional realism to structural mechanics, graphical effects and game level design.
- Dynamic fracture of game objects including: shattering, fracture and deformation.
- Software Development Kit that is fully multithreaded, optimized for the PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360 and makes optimal use of Havok Physics
- Art Tool Support