My PS3 has just informed me that the new firmware update, v2.20 is now available for download and installation. Some of the more crucial features of this update are as follows:
- Full playlist support via PSP
- 2gb+ DivX and WMV files are now playable, along with DivX subtitle support.
- Resume play for DVD/Blu-ray discs (this is my favorite new feature), no more re-starting a movie from the beginning, this will allow you to stop a disc and resume it right where you left off previously.
- Your PSP can now be used as a remote control of sorts for PS3 media playback.
- Faster web browser
- ‘Save Target As’ option gives you broader hard drive save options when saving items directly from web pages.
- And the main update feature: BD-Live, which allows Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0 support, allowing your movies to connect to the internet to download additional content and features.
We’ll keep you updated on any new features that spring to life over the next few days, but until then I suggest you go start the download, as it took my PS3 nearly 20 minutes on a 10-meg cable connection…