This day just keeps getting better and better. It seems that Judge Dava Tunis, the one that presided over Jack Thompson’s Florida Bar trail, has recommended that he be found guilty on 27 charges of misconduct, 25 of which were related to his videogame crusade.
This could be a great score for the industry. Thompson has been showing up to every major tragedy here in the States like some necrophile ambulance chaser, posting his picture up and denouncing all things digital. I agree with the ratings system and that retailers need to honor that system, but Thompson has taken this issue way too far and uses very questionable methods — aka being a jerk.
The full story can be found at GamePolitics.com, but here are a few of the charges:
- Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
- Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
- Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
- Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
- Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
- Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge
To be fair, Thompson hasn’t been found guilty of any charges, yet. Judge Tunis has to submit the report to the Florida Supreme Court on September 2. Then the Court has to rule on given recommendations.