If there’s one thing we can all agree on, it’s that you can’t argue with results or numbers. Whether this feeds into the American stereotype or not, it has now become clear what games we here in the States are all too fond of. Forbes has come up with the top ten highest selling videogames since 1989 according to NPD numbers. Oddly enough, Mario is nowhere to be found. In fact, nothing of the Nintendo brand is on the list. The oldest game on the list is GTA III which was released in 2001. Since then most of our dollars have been going towards guns, football, and bigger guns. Here’s the full list.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (9.4 million)
- Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock (8.2 million)
- Madden NFL 07 (7.7 million)
- Madden NFL 06 (7.7 million)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (7.3 million)
- Halo 2 (6.61 million)
- Madden NFL 08 (6.6 million)
- Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (6.25 million)
- Grand Theft Auto 3 (6.2 million)
- Madden NFL 2005 (6.1 million)
The truth hurts like a football sized bullet. I do find it interesting how EA and Take-Two pretty much dominate this list. I want to see what sales numbers are like in other countries. Though the dominating games will probably be soccer and guns instead.