We’ve heard some rather interesting rumors from camp Microsoft this year, ranging from the mysterious Lips, to MiiToos aka Avatars, a new Dashboard that might be navigated using a motion controller etc etc. Microsoft has just wrapped up their E3 press conference in LA, and it’s time to see which of those rumors were dead on, and which not so much.
Below is everything that Microsoft announced during the briefing.
- Don Mattrick takes the stage and opens the conference, talks of past successes for Microsoft’s Xbox business, and leads in a reel showing Fallout 3.
- Bethesda’s Todd Howard takes the stage, plays Fallout 3 on-stage. Announces extensive downloadable content exclusive to Xbox 360 and Games for Windows.
- Jun Takeuchi from Capcom, the producer of Resident Evil 5 takes the stage and demonstrates a live gameplay of the game, including the online co-op mode. Release date announced: March 13 2009.
- Peter Molyneux from Lionhead takes the stage, says (with utter satisfaction) that Fable II is finished. Says “innovation” a lot. Introduces one button press jump-in co-op. Will be released in October.
- Gears of War 2 reel plays. Cliff Bleszinski takes the stage and shows off the 2-player co-op. Shield, flamethrower seen in action, some new wretches-type enemy noticed. Reavers, brumaks rideable in the game. Horde, a 5-player co-op announced. November 7th release date confirmed.
- Don Mattrick takes the stage again, talks future of the industry. Says 360 leads US sales, 5 mil more than PS3, third-party sales over 2.2 billion. Says Xbox 360 will sell more units than PS3 this generation (calm down!). NBC, Universal join LIVE.
- Xbox LIVE’s John Schappert takes the stage. Introduces new Dashboard for Xbox 360, Avatars are real! Both coming this fall, after the Dasboard update (look out for a story soon). Geometry Wars 2 coming, Galaga sequel too.
- Portal: Still Alive announced Xbox LIVE Arcade with new levels and Achievements this fall.
- South Park game coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade!
- First wave of Community Games coming soon.
- Exclusive partnership announced with Netflix.
- Shane Kim takes the stage, reminds everyone of the exclusive GTAIV DLC, says over 1000 games will be available by years end.
- Reel runs, showing Rare games: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise. Kim also announces two new games: Scene It! Box Office Smash (with Avatars) and You’re In The Movies from Codemasters (demoed on stage). The game will include a LIVE Vision camera.
- Red Octane’s Kai Huang takes the stage to talk about Guitar Hero World Tour.
- Kim takes the stage again and introduces Lips, a new music game from Microsoft Game Studios, to be available this holiday.
- Keiichi Yano takes the stage to talk about Lips.
- Rock Band 2 on 360 in September, Harmonix’s CEO Alex Rigopulos takes the stage to talk about the game’s 84(!) songs, including a future release Guns’n’Roses, Bob Dylan, AC/DC, Metallica, Megadeath, Interpol etc etc. All Rock Band songs will be compatible with Rock Band 2.
- Don Mattrick takes the stage once again, introduces Square Enix’s Yoichi Wada, who announces Final Fantasy XIII(!!!) for Xbox 360!
Next up is Nintendo and Sony — they’ll be holding their press conferences tomorrow morning back to back, so check back then, and keep an eye on TVGB for more coverage on these Microsoft’s offerings.