Nintendo has been very quiet on their plans for the rest of the year, and this press conference is something Wii owners have been looking forward to like a wide eyed child waiting for his next bed time story. Will Nintendo announce anything new, anything for the hardcore gamer, a new Zelda, WiiSports 2, or just get through it with a smile on their face? Time to find out!
- Reel runs, showing a lot of happy people of all ages having fun with the Wii and the DS.
- Cammy Dunaway takes the stage (no Reggie?) to open the conference
- Shaun White on stage, showing off his snowboarding game using the balance board
- Dunaway tries the game too, doesn’t completely humiliate herself (j/k)
- Satoru Iwata takes the stage, talks about change in the global gaming market, how Nintendo has expanded into the casual market, breaking down the wall between gamers and non-gamers
- Katsuya Eguchi reel runs, shows off Animal Crossing Wii. Talks of new communication method and introduces WiiSpeak, a microphone. Game will be out this year.
- Reggie takes the stage, says they’re pleased, talks of sales numbers, shows with graphs that Wii rules all. Starts talking about software and “veteran gamers”.
- Reel starts, shows Star Wars: The Clone Wars with MotionPlus, Rayman Raving Rabbids TV party, Call of Duty World at War.
- Dunaway takes the stage again, starts talking about the DS, and the success it’s had. “DS appeal is universal.” Reel runs, showing Guitar Hero OnTour Decades, and Spore.
- New Pokemon game announced (sarcastic “yay!”)
- Grand Theft Auto for DS announced, set in Liberty City, new engine, same free-roaming gameplay.
- “DS may be tranforming itself”, Reggie takes the stage, talks of MotionPlus, announces WiiSports Resort (basically WiiSports 2).
- WiiSports Resort comes packaged with MotionPlus. MotionPlus being demoed on-stage, looks much more responsive than the regular Wii remote. Three Resort games (“a small taste”) demoed.
- WiiMusic demoed, Miyamoto makes an entrance, 50 different instruments in WiiMusic (drums, sax, piano, guitar etc etc), balance board usable as drum pedals. Miyamoto and co, put on a WiiMusic performance.
- Reggie and Dunaway close the show by going over everything they’ve presented “more smiles to more faces”
Whew. Next up – Sony’s press conference!