While developer Massive Entertainment continues to dump mounds of media for World in Conflict: Soviet Assault, one trailer depicting the cast of characters you’ll find in both World in Conflict and Soviet Assault stands out. Featuring some of the cut scenes from both games, the expansion to the action RTS is now available in retailers and digital distributors. With all this emotion and action it really makes you wonder: who will be directing this movie?
The original World in Conflict has also received a new patch, preparing the client for compatibility with the expansion and the Complete Edition featuring the expansion and original videogame. Most notably, the new patch removes the DRM, allowing players to engage in the (excellent, if I might add) singleplayer campaign without the DVD. Hit the jump for the full patch notes.
This tenth update for “World in Conflict” makes the original version compatible for multiplayer games with the upcoming March release of “World in Conflict Complete” and “Soviet Assault.” It also includes several new features and bug fixes. The missing maps issue preventing players from joining certain servers has been addressed, a new difficulty level has been added for bots, helicopters can now fire at targets directly beneath them, single-player missions have been balanced and tweaked in several ways, admin spectators can now chat to both teams and much more. For additional details on this update, “World in Conflict Complete” or “Soviet Assault” please visit www.massgate.net.
- Securom protection has been removed, the DVD disc is no longer required in the drive during Single Player play.
- WIC now has a launcher application that shows the latest news from Massgate.
- A -playonline command line option has been added. When used, the game starts at the Massgate login window.
- Command line options will function as previously after pressing the Start Game-button.
- Added option to set bot difficulty level. Add bots to a multiplayer game (LAN or Massgate) to create a skirmish game.
- Multiplayer servers with outdated maps or maps the user is missing are highlighted in red in the server browser.
- The names of the missing maps are shown in red in the Info-pane.
- User will be warned when joining servers with maps they are missing.
- When server cycles to a map the user is missing, the user will be kicked from the server.
- Admin spectators can now chat to both teams.
- The units and names of your friends on Massgate will now be colored green (same as names in the friends-list).
- Improved feedback to the clients when the host quits the game.
- Rank balance has been disabled for servers with bots on.
- In-game links that previously pointed to Massgate, e.g. the user profile picture, will now open a web browser window to the corresponding page on Massgate.net.
- Benchmark run now supports ghost runs and additional statistics.
- Improved compatibility with TV screens: Game now defaults to desktop resolution properly in 16:9 aspect ratios.
- Ad Hoc connectivity for wireless network cards. Windows XP users will need an update from Microsoft to run this.
- High resolution Line of Sight rendering on mini map and mega map (enable in Advanced Graphics options).
- Extra debris on explosions (enable in Advanced Graphics options).
Units and balancing:
- When an attack order is given while a unit is moving, the unit no longer stops before starting off towards the target.
- Increased visibility of TA markers.
- Max range and accuracy of Anti-Air Fortification has been increased.
- Armor piercing and blast radius of Carpet Bombing TA has been increased.
- Medium helicopters can now fire on targets directly beneath them.
- Demolition Engineers’ “Demolition Charge” special ability now gives TA points and unit experience.
- Several balance changes and tweaks on Single Player missions.
- Improved the napalm and incendiary forest clearing code. Creating new paths to Command Points (on for instance Countryside) should now be a viable option.
- “Mute All” button should now always work.
- Fixed a bug where custom colors would sometimes carry over to other players.
- Fixed a bug where you could not vote via the buttons in the scoresheet.
- Fixed a bug where sometimes buildings would become untargettable for helicopters.
- Fixed a bug where helicopters could become impossible to attack during certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug where “Enter nearest transport” would stop working.
- Fixed a bug where a request icon would catch clicks when it shouldn’t.
- Fixed a bug where a unit icon wouldn’t catch clicks the way it should.
- Fixed a bug where the “Waiting for players” screen would show an incorrect number of players.
- Fixed a bug with line of sight rendering issues on some graphic cards.
- Fixed a bug where game crashed when using heat haze without water reflection.
- Fixed a bug in road rendering when switching between high and low shader settings
- Fixed a bug that caused the wrong soundtrack to play on multiplayer end screens.
- Fixed various bugs on the do_Quarry map.
- Single Player missions now start automatically after the pre-mission prelude has finished.
- Seattle level has been optimized for better performance.
- Various stability issues have been solved.
- Several bug fixes and tweaks on Single Player missions.