When you put DJ Hero and Scratch: The Ultimate DJ‘s originally announced peripherals side by side, you start to get an idea of which one is more complex, more complicated, less really really simplified and kinda lame looking. We know how Scratch will play, it’s essentially just Beatmania mixed with Guitar Hero. But what of DJ Hero and its 3 button insanity? With this month’s Game Informer we have our answer.
The notoriously hidden left and right sides of the unit are expansion ports on which you attach the crossfader and effects boards to either side. I assume, mainly because I can’t think of where you’d be able to put the cord, that it’ll be wireless. With this new expansion comes a much higher gameplay to button ratio.
The outside buttons are actually 2 buttons merged together that you have to slide the crossfader left and right to activate. The turntable is also to some degree scratchable, thank goodness, as some sections require you to hold and scratch for massive damage. Last but not least are the effects nob and euphoria button. Orange outlined sections can be remixed with your own sounds by twiddling the effects nob while the euphoria button activates what is essentially the DJ Hero equivalent to star power. Also mentioned in the article is the rewind meter, which you build up by playing well. At any time you can rewind the record to a part you or the crowd enjoy and cue it up for awesome effects.
Imagine it. You’re scratchin’, twiddling nobs and slapping the crossfader around, feeling more then a little awesome, then boom. Reach one arm over the other to slam the Euphoria button. Points and sparklers explode, now rewind to the bridge and let the beat play out. Natch. Here’s a songlist for all those still not moved.
- Tears for Fears’ “Shout” vs. Eric Prydz’ “Pjanoo”
- Nirvana’s “All Apologies” vs. Rick James’ “Give It to Me Baby” (DJ Shadow Mix)
- Jurassic 5’s “Jayou” vs. Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit”
- Gorillaz’ “Feel Good Inc.” vs. Marvin Gaye’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine”
- David Bowie’s “Let’s Dance” vs. KRS-One’s “Jack of Spades” (DJ Shadow Mix)
- Chuck Brown & The Souls Searchers’ “Bustin’ Loose” vs. The Zombies’ “Time of the Season” (DJ Shadow Mix)