NPD has released a list of the top 10 highest grossing games of all time in the US, and Activision’s Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock has topped it.
Taking into account all revenue, not just profit, Legends of Rock has raked in a staggering $830.9 million for the publisher. It’s even more amazing to think that since that 2007 release we’ve seen the entire franchise rise and fall to the point of its recent demise. It’s a similar story for Rock Band, which also appears on the list at the fifth spot, grossing $670.7 million.
Activision holds a firm grip on the list overall, with last year’s Call of Duty: Black Ops coming in at number 2, backed by $787.4 million. Modern Warfare 2 also features at number 4 with $713.6 million. Between the two is Wii Fit, pulling in $736.6 million. All these millions make my head start to spin a little.
Napkin math tells us that Activision’s total revenue comes to $2331.9 million. It’s just… wow. That about sums it up.
Full top 10 below.
* 1. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock $830.9 million
* 2. Call of Duty: Black Ops $787.4 million
* 3. Wii Fit (inc: Balance Board) $736.6 million
* 4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 $713.6 million
* 5. Rock Band $670.7 million
* 6. Wii Play (inc: Wii Remote)
* 7. Guitar Hero World Tour
* 8. Wii Fit Plus
* 9. Mario Kart Wii (inc: Wii Wheel)
* 10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare