The new R18+ rating, which is a hot topic for Australia right now, has been publicly outlined, showing details of just what a game needs to do to earn this rating. Given that so many games have been outright banned in the country in the past few years, some of these guidelines should come as a big relief to gamers.
They are as follows:
– Virtually no restrictions on themes;
– Violence except where it “offends against the standards of morality, decency, and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults”;
– Implied sexual violence, if justified by context;
– Realistically simulated sexual activity;
– Virtually no restrictions on language; and
– Drug use and nudity are permitted.
While it sounds like certain types of violence could well be an issue, other items like drug use (that created a roadblock for Fallout 3 years back) should be less strict if the new rating is put in place. We’ll find out if it will be at the SCAG meeting in early July. Fingers crossed.