Sledgehammer Games weren’t always working on Modern Warfare 3 with Infinity Ward, in fact the team has put their previous, unrevealed Call of Duty title on hold in order to take on the latest entry in the main series.
But what would that third-person CoD be like? Studio head Glen Schofield revealed to Gamerzines at last week’s CoDXP event that “it was a third-person action-adventure game, it was a shooter, and it was not based in this era.”
In line with rumors then.
That’s a lot of interesting changes for the series (bar the shooter bit). But Schofield doesn’t liken the experience to modern third-person titles like Ghost Recon, rather Dead Space, a franchise he helped create back at EA’s Visceral Games. “It had a lot of atmosphere like, I should say Dead Space a little bit because you were underground in some places,” he explained. “You know, war is hell, war is scary and that’s what we were trying to get across. We did a tonne of research.”
It sadly hasn’t seen the light of day yet though, as Schofield and co agreed to work on Modern Warfare 3 instead, which they insist was their decision.
“They came to us and said, ‘would you guys work on it?’. And at first we told them we’d need to talk to the team and that we’d get back to them in a couple of days. And they were like, ‘well, we really, really like you, you’re the ones that Infinity Ward have chosen’,” Schofield concluded.
Will the extra attention to Modern Warfare 3 pay off? We’ll find out when the game launches on November 8 for PS3, 360 and PC.