According to last month’s NPD data, the videogame industry had another not-so-good month in August; retail sales were down 23% when compared to a year ago.
Year-over-year growth was only seen in the portable hardware category, and that thanks to Nintendo slashing the 3DS price and the 260% sales boost that followed.
Looking at overall hardware, the 360 seems to have done it again. Its 308,000 units sold outdid Nintendo’s 235,000 3DSs, 190,000 Wiis and 165,000 DSs.
No PS3 figures have been released, though Sony Computer Entertainment America corporate communications boss Patrick Seybold did offer the following comment: “Despite inventory constraints at retail during the first half of August, PS3 hardware sales were very strong the last two weeks of the month following the $50 price cut and the new InFamous 2 bundle.
“The new PS3 price point, combined with PlayStation Move and the industry’s strongest lineup of exclusive titles, including Uncharted 3 and Everybody Dance, positions us for an amazing holiday season.”
As for software, Eidos and Square Enix’s Deus Ex: Human Revolution reaches #1 with little competition, thanks to the month having been a dry one for new releases. Have a look at the top 10 software below:
1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)
2. NCAA Football 12 (360, PS3)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC)
4. Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd (DS, Wii, PS3)
5. Cars 2 (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC)
6. Just Dance Summer Party (Wii)
7. Just Dance 2 (Wii)
8. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, DS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
9. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
10. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3)