What’s not to like about bringing videogames on the go? Obviously nothing. Taking videogames everywhere is awesome.
And the record 2013 sales numbers of the Nintendo portable systems demonstrate just how much we love toting our 3DS around to all boring school functions, dinner tables and dates:
- 16 million packaged and digital Nintendo 3DS games were sold in 2013. That is about 5 million more games than sold in 2012.
- The Nintendo 3DS family (including the Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo 2DS) has surpassed 11.5 million in lifetime hardware sales, just in the United States.
- Seven of the games for Nintendo 3DS that were released in 2013 received a Metacritic score of 85 or higher. Two games were honored with 90 or higher: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Fire Emblem Awakening.
What’s even better than how much we currently love playing our systems under the sheets at night is how much more we are going to love doing it in 2014. Nintendo is preparing to amp things up to new levels this year according to Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing.
“Nintendo 3DS is a powerhouse with games and experiences that appeal to all kinds of players,” Moffitt said. “We’re not slowing down in 2014. With more games featuring fan-favorite franchises on the way, the best days of Nintendo 3DS are still to come.”
So what exactly is to come in 2014? Here is a peak at the release schedule.
- February 7: The full game of Square Enix’s RPG Bravely Default will launch in stores and the Nintendo eShop. The free demo is currently available exclusively on the Nintendo eShop with content not included in the main game! Players who then get the full game can transfer some of their saved data from the demo.
- February 28: Professor Layton teams up with Nintendo once again to provide more than 150 mind-bending puzzles in Layton and the Azran Legacy. Players will accompany Layton on a worldwide search for the lost Azran artifacts.
- March 14: Takashi Tezuka, the creative director of the original Yoshi’s Island for Super NES, will be launching his latest project: Yoshi’s New Island. Get prepared for flutter jumps, ground pounds, egg throws and new actions formatted specifically for the features of the Nintendo 3DS as Yoshi and Baby Mario team up once more.
- April 11: Journey into the Disney universe with Disney Magical World and dozens of Disney worlds and characters to choose from. Players can customize their characters with outfits and accessories before setting out to solve puzzles, find missing items or complete activities while exploring the world.
All of us at TVGB are definitely looking forward to another great year with the Nintendo 3DS.