Blizzard has officially unveiled the two characters they have been teasing for days now on the official Heroes of the Storm Twitter. The new Heroes are from the Diablo universe, specifically Diablo 2 and 3. They are Li-Ming, the Wizard from Diablo 3 , and Xul, the Necromancer from Diablo 2!
The Diablo has been a community-requested character for sometime now, so I’m sure many players are hyped for his release. I’m personally excited about Li-Ming. Her kit sounds like a TON of fun to play.
Check out their traits and abilities below!
For more information on the two new Heroes check out the developer chat with Dustin Browder, Game Director of Heroes of the Storm, where he discusses the characters in detail!
Li-Ming, the Wizard
- Critical Mass: participating in a kill or assist lowers cooldowns of all skills (including Heroics).
- Magic Missile (Q): skillshot that shoots three missiles at a target point. The missiles come from the sides of Li-Ming – not a conventional straight line skillshot.
- Arcane Orb (W): moderate speed projectile with very long range, dealing more damage the further away enemies are.
- Teleport (E): can be used to quickly move around and avoid skillshots – very short cooldown. Lower range than Bolt of the Storm or Valla’s Vault, for instance.
- Disintegrate (R): channeling wave of energy that is aimed with the cursor (probably like Lightning Breath) and deals damage from long ranges. Good in narrow chokepoints.
- Wave of Force (R): can detonate a ranged “telekinetic bomb”, knocking enemies away from its center and cancelling channeling. Good against powerful backline characters like Morales to disrupt her healing, or Nazeebo to disrupt his Ravenous Spirit.
While I don’t know for sure, this appears to be Li-Ming’s Magic Missile (Q) attack in action.
- Blizzard wanted her to be a very high skill cap character, based on community feedback on this matter.
- Most of her damage is in her ability to land her skillshot. Very easy to understand, but very hard to maximize her potential.
- Her abilities already have low cooldowns, so what Critical Mass does is boost her damage potential by just a bit.
- She is definitely mana constraint due to Critical Mass, and that’s used as a balancing tool as well. Does have talents for better mana efficiency.
- She has quite a few talents based on the source content. At level 16 she has Arcane Orbit and Diamond Skin for instance.
- There’s a pure (safer) Magic Missile build that is a very flexible build.
- There’s an Arcane Orb build that’s all about long range poking – hard to land but she can deal massive damage from afar.
- There’s a Teleport build that makes the skill more aggressive and is all about teleporting into the fray.
Xul, The Necromancer
- Skeleton Raise: raise up to 4 skeletons from dead minions for about 15 seconds.
- Spectral Reaper (Q): it’s a reverse skillshot, create a scythe in a target place and then comes towards him. Can curve as it travels towards him. Gives him some lane clear and poking ability.
- Cursed Strike (W): enhance his auto attacks so that they deal area damage and slow enemy attack speed by 50%. One of his core counter abilities.
- Bone Prison (E): targeted ability, not a skillshot. Roots an enemy hero after 2 seconds in a Bone Prison – gives up a warning when cast. Enemy heroes have to decide where they want to be stuck 2 seconds later.
- Bone Armor (1 key): gives you a shield for 25% of your health for 3 seconds. Gives him some much needed survivability.
- Poison Nova (R): big poison explosion that deals massive damage over time to enemies hit. Not very effective if it only catches 1 or 2 frontliners, but a major playmaker if you hit multiple heroes.
- Skeleton Mages (R): works similar to Tassadar’s Force Wall. Creates a line of mages that slows anybody they hit, allowing Xul to split enemy teams at a safer range. Do not impede movement.
Xul’s Skeleton Mages Heroic (R) can be seen floating eerily to the right of him.
- Based on the Diablo 2 Necromancer – requested by the community for a long time. The team is very happy about getting him into the game.
- Melee specialist character – unique.
- He’s not a character like Kerrigan or Jaina, where one skill leads into the next with an obvious combo.
- You can spec his Skeleton Raise to turn him into a siege/pusher character.
- Cursed Scythe build, allowing you to debuff enemies even harder. There’s even a talent later on that weakens healing!!!