- 1 01. Perfect Laptop Desk for Couch Play: iSkelter Hover X
- 2 02. The Best Cheap Cushioned Laptop Desk: Lapgear XL
- 3 03. Cool Laptop Desk for Lap Play: Logitech N315
- 4 04. Great Option for a Laptop Bed Desk: Sofia + Sam Memory Foam
- 5 05. Logitech Touch Lapdesk N600
- 6 What Makes a Good Laptop Desk?
- 7 Final Thoughts
Sometimes you don’t need a monstrous desk to get some gaming in. In fact, sometimes you don’t even have the living space to do so (if you do, check out our best gaming desk options here).
Let’s say you travel a lot, or can’t afford a full-on PC gaming rig and a dual monitor setup. Let’s say all your gaming is done on a laptop.
And if you have a gaming laptop, you might want to consider getting a lap desk for it.
We aren’t talking about a normal computer desk, this is a lap desk for laptop gaming. In other words, something made specifically to fit your laptop and mouse.
A gaming laptop desks can really level up your play and gaming experience, especially for those times that have you sitting in compromising conditions.
Here’s a look at some of our favorites.
01. Perfect Laptop Desk for Couch Play: iSkelter Hover X
- Material and Color - We developed two unique blends of bamboo with unsurpassed aesthetics and premium quality that offer social benefits to renewable farming. Select from Premium Natural Bamboo and our Limited Walnut Bamboo.
- Heat Protection - Hover X+ includes ventilation that helps keep the laptop cool and protects your laps from continual heat. The remaining heat is absorbed within the bamboo material.
- Comfortable to Use - Promotes correct posture, feels like using a desk or table.
- For Any Size Laptop - Created for 11, 13, 15, and 17 inch Laptops.
- Satisfaction Guaranteed - 100% Risk Free Money Back Guarantee
The iSkelter Hover X is made for 17-inch laptops or smaller. It’s a mobile gaming command center that fits everything you need for an optimal gaming experience into a tiny unit that sits perfectly on your lap.
Of course, it has a ventilation port to allow airflow and prevent overheating. A bonus is that any heat that remains will be absorbed by the natural bamboo this product is constructed from, making it not only aesthetically appealing, but also eco-friendly and durable.
You’ll also have a 10” x 10” microfiber mouse pad that is installed flush with the surface of the lap desk. This makes for seamless connections with the mouse, minimizing input delay.
The device dock is a wonderful addition that fits almost all smartphone models as well as all iPads and most Android tablets. This lets you connect to the game’s chat and have it right next to your screen, while you are playing.
Here are some of the pros of the iSkelter Hover X+
- Practical and aesthetically pleasing natural bamboo design
- Extra large mouse pad perfectly flush with the surface
- Disperses heat before it can even reach your lap
- Doubles as a keyboard and mouse setup for couch gaming
- Increases the efficiency of your gaming laptop
Now for some of the negatives
- Is moderately expensive
- This could benefit from some padding on the edges
- No padding on the bottom where it rests on your legs
- If the slot for your mobile device were angled backward a bit, it would make it much easier to read the chat
This is, overall, the best choice we found on the market so far. True, it would be taken to a whole new level with some simple design tweaks, but as it stands now, it is worth taking a look at.
02. The Best Cheap Cushioned Laptop Desk: Lapgear XL
- Ambidextrous - Left and Right side mouse pads
- Dual-bolster cushion provides the correct angle for optimal screen viewing
- Ergonomic wrist pad makes typing comfortable and keeps your laptop from sliding
- 2 Velcro side storage pouches to store accessories
- Product Dimensions: 22.25 x 14.5 x 2 inches(fits up to 17.3 inch laptop)
What makes this such a good purchase is the ability to set this on your lap and almost forget it is there after a while. It really is that comfortable. The Lapgear XL has padding in all the right places.
You have the ability to choose what side you use the mouse on (left or right) and it has dual-bolster cushions to provide the proper angle for the best screen viewing. The built-in wrist rest is definitely a great addition, and the integrated side pouches at the bottom ensure you’ll always have your most important accessories sitting right near your lap.
Our biggest complaint is that if your ventilation fans are on the bottom of your laptop, the Lapgear XL can get hot rather quickly. There aren’t any ventilation ports on the bottom.
This shouldn’t be an issue if your vents are on the side or top, though.
Pros of the Lapgear XL:
- Excellent multi-purpose device that will work just as well for writing your class essay as it will for gaming purposes
- Plenty of padding ensures your legs don’t get fatigued from the desk digging into them
- Wrist support is a great addition
- Two mouse pads let you use the mouse on either the left or right side of the unit
- Accessory bags located under the desk to keep everything in a centralized location
- Very good price
Cons of the Lapgear XL:
- Can get hot fast
- No ventilation holes to let the heat escape
- The built-in mouse pad is a little finicky at times.
There is no way that this should be omitted from any gaming laptop lap desk list. It is extremely versatile, very comfortable for your legs, and performs well. Aside from the ventilation, this is a great buy.
03. Cool Laptop Desk for Lap Play: Logitech N315
- This lap desk is designed to protect your lap from notebook heat and to keep your lap cool and comfortable, even after extended laptop use
- The retractable mouse pad lets you use your mouse, even when you don't have a table handy
- It's so thin and light, you can easily carry it and slip it into your laptop bag or sleeve (15.6" or larger)
- The anti-slip top helps keep your notebook (15.6" or smaller) firmly in place. Plus, the washable surface is easy to clean
- The base lets you keep your legs and knees however they're most comfortable beneath your notebook
Have you ever kept your laptop on your thighs while playing something for a few hours? Your thighs can get pretty hot, right? I know this has happened to me more than a few times. I’ve used this to keep warm when cold, but when it’s too hot, it’s really annoying.
The Logitech N315 is a good laptop gaming desk contender that addresses exactly this issue. It has a rubber bottom surface to help stabilize your laptop and keep it in place while you are gaming. Said bottom also does a fantastic job of keeping the heat off your legs.
Furthermore, there is a pullout mouse pad that can double as a resting place for your external hard drive if need be.
Overall, the Logitech N315 is extremely lightweight and portable. The design makes it really easy to carry around. Best of all, it is a very high-quality product that will last.
Here are some pros of the Logitech:
- Rubber top surface is great for securing your laptop while in use
- Keeps the heat on your laptop from transferring to your legs
- Pull out mouse pad is large enough for gaming use
- The feet on the bottom keep the lap desk secure on tables and other surfaces
Cons of the Logitech N315:
- Somewhat pricy
- Non-slip strips at the bottom can come off
- Difficult to clean the rubber bottom if it gets dirty
This is a great buy if you’re looking for something that won’t slide off your lap. Also, the retractable mouse pad is a stroke of genius. The only real downsides we found are the non-slip strips possibly coming off after a while, and that is that it isn’t big enough to fit larger laptops.
04. Great Option for a Laptop Bed Desk: Sofia + Sam Memory Foam
- Includes tablet slot that fits tablets 9.6 inches or smaller and smart phone slot that fits mobile devices 3.5 inches or smaller
- Slide out Mouse Deck that pulls out on either the left or right side of the desk
- Cool and comfortable design built with a memory foam cushion, wrist rest and handle for portability
- Workstation that goes where you go
- Large work surface of 18.5" x 14" x 3.5". Patented D772596
The Sofia has actually been around for quite some time, but has gotten some major upgrades since its initial release. The first iteration used to be a piece of particle board attached to a beanbag surface.
Now, it has memory foam padding at the bottom to keep your legs comfy, and more on the top to provide wrist support. This is great to prevent your wrists from becoming fatigued while typing or gaming.
The LED light is a great addition, and we think this makes it a good fit for those looking for a laptop pillow desk, to use at night while on your bed. The light is powered by a USB port.
There is a pullout mouse deck that goes on either the left or right side, but you should probably get a microfiber mouse pad if you are going to be using this for gaming.
Here are some of the pros:
- Memory foam for your wrist not only keep your hands, wrist, and forearms comfortable, but it also keeps your computer from sliding off
- Included iPad slot for easy viewing
- LED light source can be plugged into the USB port on the desk or your computer
- Slide-out mouse deck for both sides and has a slot to place your smartphone
These are some of the cons:
- The LED light takes four AA batteries to operate it, which seems a bit much for such a small light
- It is a little bulkier than other laptop desks due to the memory foam on the bottom
- The iPad slot does not fit the newer versions of the iPad
- The mouse deck is just a wooden surface; you will need a mouse pad
If you aren’t looking for a super portable option, this is probably the best overall lap desk on the market today. The memory foam is an amazing upgrade from the old bean bag solution that was used years ago, and the slots for both your phone and tablet are great “quality of life” upgrades.
If the mouse deck had better surfacing, this would have almost zero flaws.
- Easier browsing for your laptop: Large (5-inch) built-in multi-Touch Touchpad makes web navigation smooth and seamless
- Heat-shielding design: Protects you from laptop heat so you can browse in comfort
- Wireless simplicity: No cord hassles - plug the tiny Logitech Unifying receiver into your laptop and start browsing
- All-in-one convenience: The Touchpad retracts inside your lap desk for easy portability
- PC compatibility: Fits laptops with up to a 16-inch display
Logitech is always going to be a mainstay in any “best of” list geared towards technology, and that is why we have two different lap desks from them on our list.
The N600 makes browsing and gaming more comfortable and effortless. It is extremely comfortable to hold in your lap, deflects any heat that the laptop is giving out with its heat shield technology, and has a retractable touchpad.
The touchpad also works seamlessly with your computer – all you need to do is plug in the Logitech unifying receiver, and it is ready to use. This certainly is not something you will use for gaming, but it works quite well for browsing purposesl.
Pros of the Logitech N600 include:
- Retractable touchpad for a better browsing experience
- Touchpad uses 2-finger scroll and 3-finger swipe technology
- Durable, sturdy pad that will last you multiple years
- Heat-shield design that keeps your lap from being the recipient of all the heat your gaming laptop emits
Cons of the Logitech N600:
- Uses four AA batteries rather than a rechargeable battery
- No place to put your gaming mouse
- Touchpad isn’t optimal for gaming
- This is not a vented lap desk; your laptop will not receive any extra ventilation
Logitech is known for producing excellent peripherals for connected devices, and this one is really no different. While this may not be optimal for gaming purposes (due to having a touchpad rather than a mouse deck), this definitely a good pick-up.
The touchpad works flawlessly on both PC’s and MacBooks, and the lap pad itself is sturdy and durable, you should get years of use from this laptop desk if you care for it properly.
What Makes a Good Laptop Desk?
There are several different types of gaming desks for your laptops, and each has its own plusses and minuses. But what makes a good laptop gaming desk is really all about what you need your lap desk to do.
Some people only need something large enough for a small Chromebook. For these people size isn’t important at all. And because they have a Chromebook rather than a high powered laptop, they won’t need lap desk with a dedicated fan or even ventilation holes.
Others may have laptops with top of the line graphics cards and processing units, plus a giant screen. These are typically going to be your hardcore gamers, and they are going to need a lap desk that not only allows their computer to disperse the heat away from itself, but they will also need a larger surface area with a large dedicated mouse pad.
You can see, there is not just one unit that works for anybody, that just isn’t how technology works. Instead, you need to assess what you need your lap desk to do and then decide which product fits you best.
With of that said, there are still some key aspects that you want your laptop desk to have, no matter how you will be utilizing it.
You are likely going to be using your laptop for several hours, and if you are a gamer, then you will probably be using it for multiple hours at a time (like in one sitting). Before buying a laptop desk you should take how long your sessions will be, if you are going to spend more than 45 minutes to an hour, then you will definitely want to get something with a lot of padding.
Mouse deck or mouse pad
If you are a gamer, then you already know that gaming with the touchpad on your laptop is simply out of the question. You absolutely have to have a mouse made specifically for gaming (unless you opt to connect an Xbox controller and use that instead).
A proper gaming desk for your laptop is going to have to have a large dedicated surface for your mouse. A microfiber pad is preferable so that you aren’t having to carry around a mouse pad, but any smooth, large area for adequate mouse operation will do.
A good laptop desk for gaming will have some type of ventilation system built into it, and the truly great ones will have a motorized fan.
This is important for two reasons. One, when you are gaming for multiple hours, your computer is going to get hot since this desk in your lap you are going to want that heat to go somewhere that isn’t your upper thigh/groin region.
Second, and maybe more important (depending on how you feel about heat on your groin) is that without proper ventilation systems your laptop is going to overheat and this can become very detrimental to your computer over time.
Get a laptop desk that has a good ventilation system at the very least. If you are spending four-plus hours on your computer at a time, then you should consider a laptop desk with a cooling fan.
How large is your laptop? How much space do you need for your mouse? These are both very important questions to ask yourself before you purchase your new lap desk.
A large space to work with is extremely important when gaming or even just for regular work-related use. If your laptop is over….LAPPING…… (haha, get it?) the desk that it sits on, it is going to be more than unsightly, it will be uncomfortable, and it will hinder your performance.
Make sure that you purchase the right size lap desk for your computer. But you may also want to consider if you are going to want anything else sitting on the lapdesk with your mouse and computer.
Slots for phones and tables
You might think, I’ve got an entire computer on my lap, why in the world would I need an iPad as well? If you are only using the computer for work or for browsing, then this might be a valid point. But when gaming, you will definitely want to have an extra screen available to you, whether for chat purposes or just to have something playing in the background.
But even if you aren’t using it for gaming, but instead using it for work purposes. There is something to be said for having some wallpaper playing in the background.
Typically, I’ll have baseball or something else that doesn’t require my attention playing in the background while doing my work, and I have to say, this really improves productivity for me. Don’t underestimate how awesome the ability to post your tablet next to you and play some videos while working.
This isn’t absolutely necessary of course, but having the ability to plug in an LED light is a wonderful addition to have. You won’t use it while gaming, but it’s great for those times you are using your desk for reading, writing, or anything else that doesn’t involve a computer.
If you are on the fence about a purchasing a laptop desk for your gaming laptop, you are not alone. Most people are apprehensive about spending the extra money it costs for one of these, but for the most part, the majority of people are happy with their purchase after they get some real-life use out of it.
Before you make your purchase, make sure you have the dimensions of your laptop properly measured, the last thing you want to do is buy a product that either doesn’t fit your gaming setup or barely fits it.
Our favorite laptop desk for gaming purposes is going to be the iSkelter Hover X+ Ultimate gamer’s lap desk.
This is because it has a lightweight bamboo construction with a ventilation system right underneath your laptop. The very large dedicated mouse pad has enough space for your mouse to roam free, and the surface lets your mouse scroll smoothly.
The bamboo surface is beautifully polished, and it looks and feels amazing. You may have to do some customizing to this, but add some padding, and you’ll be in business.