Beast Clergyman Elden Ring: All About Gurranq
This post was last updated on June 1, 2023
There are several places in Elden Ring where you can purchase new incantations, but there are few that are as useful as those sold by the Beast Clergyman. However, unless you know where he is or have started a certain questline, he can be difficult to track down. Not to mention the fact that he doesn’t accept runes but instead Deathroot as currency.
Gurranq, the Beast Clergyman, is at the northernmost point of Dragonsbarrow in the Bestial Sanctum, behind the Black Blade Kindred. The fastest and safest way to get there is through the portal at the Third Church of Marika.
Read on as we give you all the information you need to know about the Beast Clergyman, and how to make the most out of his questline.
How To Find Gurranq Beast Clergyman
Gurranq Beast Clergyman is not the most difficult NPC to find; however, he is a little hard to come across while wandering around the lands between, as he is in the Bestial Sanctum in Dragonsbarrow.
There are two ways to get to this location:
- You can travel on foot through the Lands Between from Limgrave, east into Caelid, and then finally north through Dragonsbarrow.
- Note: This is the most dangerous way, as there are two bosses you will definitely encounter on your journey, the first being a dragon that is blocking the bridge, and the second being a black blade kindred that is standing outside of the Sanctum.
- You can teleport right to the door using the portal behind the Third Church of Marika (it’s in the water). You can either go directly to the portal, or if you are having difficulty finding it, you can talk to D hunter of the Dead and eventually he will mark it on your map with a red dot. This can be in either the Roundtable Hold or out in Limgrave, as it will be the same dialogue.
Once you arrive at the Bestial Sanctum, simply open the doors up and you will see the Beast Clergyman sitting at the end of the room. Also there is a nearby site of grace for you to activate so you can fast travel to the point in the future.
What He “Sells” and How To Get It
The Beast Clergyman is unique in that he will only take Deathroot as currency. There are a total of nine deathroots to find and bring back to him.
- Limgrave, in the Deathtouched Catacombs (behind the Black Knife Assassin).
- Kill the Tibia Mariner at Summonwater Village, Limgrave.
- Liurnia of the Lakes, in the Black Knife Catacombs (behind the Cemetery Shade).
- Kill the Tibia Mariner in East Liurnia of the Lakes.
- Kill the Tibia Mariner at Wyndham Ruins, Altus Plateau.
- Altus Plateau, in Gelmir Hero’s Grave (behind the Red Wolf of the Champion).
- Kill the Tibia Mariner between Castle Sol Main Gate and Snow Valley Ruins Overlook, Mountaintops of the Giants
- Mountaintops of the Giants, area underneath the Hidden Path to the Haligtree (after the Stray Mimic Tear).
- Mountaintops of the Giants, the Giants’ Mountaintop Catacombs (after the Ulcerated Tree Spirit)
- First deathroot – Clawmark Seal and Beast Eye. The Clawmark seal is a great seal when using the incantations that you receive later as it increases the power of beast incantations.
- Second deathroot – Bestial Sling incantation. The bestial sling incantation fires several rocks towards your enemies.
- Third deathroot – Bestial Vitality incantation. Bestial vitality is great to give you a little pick me up while in a fight, as it restores 5 HP per second while active.
- Fourth deathroot – Ash of War: Beast’s Roar. This is a useful ash of war as it can be applied to all melee weapons (which have the option to swap out ash of war). It is a ranged shout which can stagger opponents.
- Fifth deathroot – Beast Claw incantation. The Beast Claw move is an extremely useful incantation for PVP and PVE alike. It is an arcing low attack sweep.
- Sixth deathroot – Stone of Gurranq incantation. The stone of Gurranq is the incantation user equivalent of rock sling, except it flings one rock rather than three.
- Seventh deathroot – The Beastclaw Greathammer. A powerful greathammer that has a unique ash of war, Regal Beastclaw, which unleashes an attack similar to Beast Claw.
- Eighth deathroot – Gurranq’s Beast Claw incantation. This is a beefed up version of the beast claw you get after the fifth death root, but it has a wave rather than an arcing pattern.
- Ninth deathroot – An Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone. Ancient dragon smithing stones are super useful as they allow you to upgrade standard weapons to +25.
Note: The fourth deathroot you give him will trigger a boss fight.
The key item he provides is the Beast Eye, which will alert you when there is a deathroot nearby.
The Other Beast Clergyman (Spoilers!)
There are actually two places you can find the Beast Clergyman. The first is what we have already discussed, while the second is in the late-game legacy dungeon Crumbling Farum Azula. When you find him in this location, he will attack you from the get-go. This is because he is secretly The Black Blade Meliketh, the third-to-last boss of the main story of the game.
As such, he is a tough fight as he uses both melee and ranged attacks, including the incantations you can get from giving him death root in Dragonsbarrow.
The Beast Clergyman is a handy NPC to find. He has some great spells, and you can come across him before you even level up. Also, finding all the deathroots to complete Gurranq questline isn’t that hard once you know where to look for them. After all, most of them are with Tibia Mariner, and they are one of the easiest bosses in the game to take down no matter your play style.