How To Change Your Minecraft Username: All You Need To Know!
This post was last updated on March 1, 2023
So you want to change your minecraft username because you picked a lame one?
Well, the way to do it depends on the type of minecraft account you are using – and there are a few important things you need to watch out for to make sure you do it right.
This guide will reveal everything Minecraft gamers need to know!
How To Change Your Minecraft Username
Changing your minecraft username is pretty easy – there are just a couple of catches and rules.
The method to change usernames is different for the Java Edition and Bedrock versions.
Here’s how you do it!
How to Change Your Minecraft Username in Java Edition
To change your Java Edition username, you can change your name for free in your Minecraft Microsoft account.
Follow these steps:
- Go to your Minecraft Profile website – www.minecraft.net/en-us/profile.
- Sign in with either your Mojang account or Microsoft account.
- Click on “My Games”.
- Click “Minecraft: Java Edition” to open the drop-down menu.
- From here, select “Profile Name”.
- You will now see your Java Profile Name, and the option to change your Minecraft username.
- Enter the new name, and click “Change Profile Name”.
- Your new username will now be used if it meets the username terms.
Note: When you’re signing in, if you have an old Mojang account and haven’t migrated it to a Microsoft account, you will be prompted to do so.
How to Change Your Minecraft Username in Bedrock Edition
Creating a new username for Bedrock versions of Minecraft is different from the Java edition, as it falls under another account.
You need to change your Gamertag – as Bedrock uses a Microsoft account and the Xbox user system.
If you are playing Minecraft Bedrock, your username in game is based on your Xbox Gamertag. Even if you aren’t playing on an Xbox or Windows, all versions of Bedrock use a Gamertag as the underpinning account.
Follow these steps to change your username in Minecraft Bedrock edition.
- Log into your Microsoft account on the official Xbox website –
You can find the option to sign at the top right of the page.
- Click on your profile icon, and click “Xbox Profile”.
- Click “Customize” below your profile display.
- Next to your Gamertag, you will see a pencil icon – click this.
- You will now be given the option to change your Gamertag.
- Simply enter a new Gamertag, click “Check availability”, and then accept the change to replace your old username.
Where Can I See My Minecraft Username?
You can see your current Minecraft username on the Minecraft profile page – follow these steps for Java accounts:
- Go to the official Minecraft website at www.minecraft.net
- Open your profile from the dropdown at the top right of your Minecraft account settings
- Choose “Minecraft: Java Edition”
- Click “Profile Name” to open the profile page
- You will now see your Minecraft username.
If you are playing Bedrock versions of Minecraft, you’ll need to sign into https://www.xbox.com/en-US/ and look at your Gamertag.
Your in-game username will be the same as your Xbox Gamertag.
How Often Can I Change my Minecraft Username?
You can change your Minecraft username every 30 days.
If you’ve changed it more recently, it will tell you how many days you have to wait until you can change it again.
What Are the Limitations for Minecraft Usernames
There are several rules which restrict what you can use in a username change:
- A Minecraft name must be between 3 and 16 characters.
- No spaces are allowed.
- You can only use A-Z, and 0-9.
- The only special character you can use is an underscore (_).
Your username cannot contain any offensive content based on the community standards, including:
- Discrimination against: race, ethnicity, skin color, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and disability.
- Any hate speech.
- Sexual content.
- Hateful symbols.
- Promotion of drugs, crime, self-harm, and extreme violence.
As you can see, it’s super easy to change your username – you just have to follow the right steps depending on what kind of account you are using.
The only differences depend on whether you are using Minecraft Java edition or Bedrock.
Enjoy your cool new Minecraft username!
FAQs About Changing Minecraft Usernames
Can’t Change Minecraft Username
If you can’t change your Minecraft username, either you’ve changed it already in the last 30 days, or you haven’t migrated your Mojang account to the Microsoft accounts system. Sign in and you will be prompted to migrate.
How to Change your Minecraft Gamertag for Free
You can only change your Minecraft Gamertag for free the first time – any other time after this will cost you $10. Annoying, but don’t blame us, blam.
Can’t Log Into Minecraft Servers After Changing Username
Sometimes, when you change your username, you might see an error message after trying to connect to a Minecraft server. This is easily fixed – simply log out of your account and log back in.