As promised, SOE has taken the wraps off PlanetSide 2, treating us to several debut images as well as a trailer, all in-game nice and proper no less.
They do a fine job of justifying the MMOFPS’ newly-found tagline, “Massive combat on an epic scale.”
“Battles take place not between dozens of troops, but thousands; with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of troops,” it’s further promised. “Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, winning requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger.”
“Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build real alliances and combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With air, ground and seaborne combat, the battles are more intense than ever.”
The game’s now-open website reveals beta plans, though there’s no word if it’ll be open or private just yet.
The business model is being kept a secret for now as well. Details on that, along with a launch window is promised for “the months ahead.”
Those seeking a bit of information about the game’s three factions — Terran Republic, New Conglomerate, Vanu Sovereignty — can check out this quick FAQ.
Find the images in the gallery here.
For a quick checklist of key features, read on:
- MASSIVE WARFARE: Battles will take place not between dozens of troops, but hundreds, with air and ground vehicles slugging it out alongside squads of infantry. Whether in open fields, tightly-packed urban centers or enormous structures, winning requires strategic teamwork and a quick trigger finger in the massive battles.
- Three Empires: Players will have their choice to join three different empires, including Terran Republic, New Conglomerate and Vanu Sovereignty.
- BATTLE FOR TERRITORIES & RESOURCES: The core gameplay of PlanetSide 2 is about holding territories and controlling resources. Each battleground holds valuable resources and key positions, and the empire that can conquer (and manage to hold) these territories will be rewarded with fuel bonuses, ammo bonuses, tech bonuses, and more.
- Persistence: In PlanetSide 2 battles will last longer than a match timer. Battles will last for days or weeks, and finally taking control of the base means it’s yours until someone can take it back. Working strategically as a team to capture key tactical positions such as power plants and ammo depots will have long-lasting effects that can shift the tide of battle.
- ENORMOUS MAPS: PlanetSide 2 will launch with several continent maps; every inch of which will be contestable space. With the new territorial control meta-game, landmass will have intrinsic value even without notable installations or major features.
- FREE-FORM CLASS-BASED SYSTEM: Players will be able to unlock diverse combat roles by advancing through the skill tree, including several classic roles from PlanetSide. As players unlock new roles, they can switch between them at will.
- MISSION SYSTEM: Both SOE and players will be able to drive content, easing new players into the game and allowing veterans to feed content to players.
- SKILL TREES: Players will be able to build their soldier to match their play-style, or to match the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Each combat role, vehicle and weapon will have extensive skill trees. These “cert trees” will allow players to grow characters laterally, unlocking weapons, attachments, equipment, specialized skills, and more.
- OUTFITS: Outfits (guilds) will also be able to customize themselves – allowing outfits to have their own identity, reputation and role in the ongoing war.
- WEAPONS: Players will be able to access more than 20 basic weapons, which can be customized to players’ preference or purpose.
- VEHICLES: A total of 15 vehicles, with two unique vehicles per empire. Players will be able to customize each vehicle, unlocking new skills and features.
- Vivox Integration: Players will be able to communicate with their squads both through keyboard and voice chat.