This post was last updated on: Tuesday, September 1, 2018
If somebody asked you to estimate how many hours you spent gaming in a single week, what would your answer be?
Chances are if you are reading this article your answer to this question would be well into the double digits. And if this is your answer, you should strongly consider looking into moving your gaming experience to a more centralized location.
Don’t get us wrong here, a big screen TV and a couch is a very good gaming setup when done correctly. The comfort of a couch cannot be beat, and the larger screen you get with your living room television allows for more immersive play than a smaller monitor does. Couple that with the ability to enjoy party games like “Rock Band” with a group of friends, and you’ll quickly realize, there is always going to be a place for living room gaming.
But for longer gaming sessions, where your quality of play is a little more important (such as competitive gaming), a gaming desk can make a world of difference.
The 12 Top PC Gaming Computer Desks on the Market Today
01. Our Pick for the Best Gaming Desk: The Atlantic
Atlantic Gaming Desk - Gaming Computer Desk
- MADE FOR GAMERS - Atlantic's Gaming Desk is specifically designed for all your gaming gear, so you can focus on that epic battle. Made with sleek charcoal colored carbon fiber laminated top, provides ample room for your monitor, PC, laptop, games, speakers and more and monitor shelf dimensions- length is 15.5 inch left to right ,width is 7 inch front to back, height is 6.25 inch from desktop
- FEATURE RICH - this gaming computer desk includes a charging stand for your tablet or smart phone, speaker stands, game storage, under-desk basket, controller stand, built-in wire-management, rear power strip holder, cup holder and headphone/VR headset hook
- MONITOR & SMART PHONE STAND -Fits 27 inch flat panel monitor up to 40 pounds. You can also charge your smart phone or tablet and have it comfortably at hand. These features free up valuable desktop space and with its smooth contours offer a contemporary style that adds a touch of sleek sophistication to any home office, dorm room or bedroom
- GAME ROOM ORGANIZATION - whether you have a dedicated game room or a just place where you need a desk, the Gaming Desk helps you work and play. Keep all of your video game equipment in one place where it is easy to use
- CUSTOMER SERVICE - our Customer Service team, based right here in the U.S.A. works hard to provide support for a wide assortment of items. For more than 30 years, California based Atlantic, Inc., receive calls with various questions about our products and we apply our best possible efforts to deliver the best possible solution for your purchase
The Atlantic is a smaller sized straight desk with a gorgeous carbon fiber finish top. It will not take up too much space in the room but still has more than enough real estate for the average gamer. Heck it has even got a cup holder on the right leg (if only there were one on the other side for us left handed folk).
What is particularly nice is that comes with extensions on both ends for your external speakers, a tower to house your game collection in, a cable management system, monitor stand, storage drawer, charging station, and even a hook to hang your headphones. It really seems as if they’ve thought of everything.
Some of the pros:
- Can fit up to a 27-inch monitor
- Supports a maximum tv weight of 40-pounds
- Very little assembly is required
- Adjustable non marring leveling feet
- Plenty of storage space to keep your area tidy
- Small footprint
- Extremely sturdy and has a beautiful carbon fiber table top
Here are some of the cons:
- The drawers that come with are flimsy and don’t open and close easily
- The cup holder is not adjustable and only goes on the left leg
- The wire legs look kind of silly
- Speaker brackets are very small
This made our list because of it’s sturdiness and functionality. It would be nice if the slide-out drawer were able to slide with ease, but come on Atlantic gaming, ten percent of the world’s population is left-handed, can you show us some love please and make put a cup holder on the other side too?
Those two minor complaints aside, there really isn’t anything wrong with this option at all. The Atlantic is easily worth the money, and you will likely still be putting this to use two or three years from the day you purchased it. If you don’t need a TON of space, this is your best bet.
If you’d like to read more, you can check out our article here: Atlantic gaming desk review.
Sometimes a bare-bones computer gaming desk is all you need when you are looking for a gaming setup. If you are one of the many who does not need all the bells and whistles of high-end gaming option, then this might be for you.
It is a folding style desk, meaning you can stow it away any time you need some extra space, and it folds back out easily for a quick gaming station in a matter of seconds (there is zero assembly required).
You will notice that it looks very plain with nothing more than the table top, legs, and platform at the bottom to elevate your CPU off of the floor so it will not collect as much dust.
Here are some of the pros you can expect with the Origami RDE-01:
- 250-pound carrying capacity when on level ground, 75-pound capacity when it is on the included wheels
- Requires zero assemblies, even on the initial setup
- Folds away for easy storage
- Very good price
- Lower shelf to keep your CPU off of the ground
- Terrific for small rooms
The cons of are:
- Barebones means you do not get any of the extra bells and whistles most gamers love
- It looks very plain, not an inspiring design at all
- Although it is sturdy enough for a typical gaming setup, it will not fit or support multiple monitor setups
- Folding desks are not as sturdy and durable as a stationary one
If you need something that you can assemble and disassemble on a moments notice, and you want to spend as little as possible while still getting some value, then the Origami RDE-01 is a good place to start looking.
03. Another Top Gaming Desk Option: The Arozzi Arena
Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk - Black
- The 160cm/5' 3 Inches width allows for three large monitors to envelop you in the game environment
- The 80 cm/2' 7 ½ Inches depth gives you a huge field of play for your mouse, keyboard or other devices
- Design of the custom mouse pad which has a microfiber cloth surface which is water-resistant. Desk Top Load Capacity : 176lb (evenly distributed)
- Arena is available in five attractive colors, red, blue, green, white and black ; Adjust the feet to stabilize the desk ; Loosen the screws to set up the height
- Arena is designed for easy transport since the desk top and frame are divided into three section
The Arozzi Arena can be purchased in red, blue, green, black, and white colors. It gives you a whopping 63-inches in length with a 33-inch depth, which guarantees plenty of room for even the most extravagant gaming setups.
Some of the coolest features of the Arozzi Arena are the microfiber cloth surface mouse pad that also is the table, and the net under the table to hide the cables. Assembly is very easy (even with the large parts involved), as the desk is only three separate parts plus the two legs.
Have a look at some pros of the Arozzi Arena:
- Huge surface area for the most sophisticated gaming setups
- Very sturdy surface and legs
- Curves inward to let you get closer to the monitor without having to slouch
- Cable management system
- Adjust the height of the legs
- Exclusive mouse pad table top surface
Here are some of the downfalls of the table:
- Very heavy item that is a pain to ship
- The screws that hold the legs at the intended height may not hold up over time (a gut feeling, only time will tell though)
- Because it is heavy, set up may require some help
- Fairly expensive
The ergonomic design is awesome and the curved top lets you get closer to the monitor while sitting straight the entire time your gaming session (there is nothing worse than having to lean into the desk while gaming, it kills your back).
The mouse pad fabric that covers the entire surface is a wonderful touch and the cable management system used here is perfect. If you are looking for a top of the line gaming desk, your search just may stop here. atlan Arozzi gaming desk review.
HOMCOM 69" Modern Symmetrical Corner L-Shaped Computer Desk with Smoked Glass Top
- ✔ L-SHAPED CORNER DESIGN: The space-saving, wrap-around style offers plenty of surface space for home and office work-related or gaming activities.
- ✔ SLIDE OUT KEYBOARD TRAY: A convenient built-in tray slides out for your keyboard to sit on and then slides back in and out of the way when not in use.
- ✔ STURDY AND DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: It's built stable, with a powder-coated steel frame and long-lasting MDF material in a black wood finish with a smoked glass desktop.
- ✔ PORTABLE COMPUTER TOWER CART: This workstation includes a detached, computer tower cart on smooth-rolling wheels making it a convenient way to store and transport your CPU tower.
- ✔ ELEVATED CORNER SHELF: An elevated center tier of shelving provides extra space to store and display books and office essentials in a stylish way.
If you need some serious space to accommodate your gaming passion and your work all in one place, then you’ll love this. The HomCom is a beautiful looking curved desk with a smoked glass top. It has more than enough real estate to cover all your gaming needs and more, not to mention some pretty aesthetics, to boot.
Here are some of the best aspects of the HomCom:
- Elevated corner shelf
- Portable computer tower cart
- Extremely durable and just as sturdy
- Slide-out keyboard tray
- Vast amounts of working space available for better workflow
- Elevated monitor stand included
There are, however, some issues that you may have:
- Assembly is a terror
- It does not have a cable management system
- Keyboard tray can get caught in the tracks when trying to open and close it
Few desks on the market are more attractive than a glass one. Something about the reflection of the monitors bouncing off the glass is very appealing. When you combine that with a high-quality, sturdy desk that has plenty of space, you know you have a winner. If you have a setup that requires a lot of space and you have enough room, take a serious look at the HomCom 69.
BHG L Shape Computer Desk, Black
- Includes parts, tools and instructions for easy assembly .
- The middle of the desk is curved which allows the desk to bend in an L shape providing additional space to work. The desk is supported by gray metal that has been arranged in an architectural form to provide a crisp elegant look that supports the top and the legs.
- Desk is reversible. Flexible configuration options allow you to assemble L shape on both right and left side. Slide-out keyboard shelf with safety stop allows you to use your standard size keyboard and mouse together.
- This desk provides additional space to work, without making a room look clunky, but instead it gives your home/office a stylish look.
- Additional upper shelf designed for printer and other accessories.
This is a smaller desk than some of the other ones you will see.
The first thing you’ll notice is how well put together it is – everything is in the right spot, and you will never have to reach very far anything that you have on it. Plus the ability to reverse the desk is an absolute lifesaver. There is an additional upper shelf that could also be a great place to house your consoles.
Pros of the BHG:
- Slide-out keyboard shelf
- Upper shelf can hold consoles or gaming peripherals
- You can assemble with or without the upper shelf
- Three color options available (black, brown, and birch)
- Very budget friendly
- No cable management system
- Metal legs feel like they may begin to wobble over time
- Stabilizer bars are a little too low and cause the top to move too much when it has a lot of weight on it
- Assembly can be a pain
This is an excellent choice for a small setup, but if you have a couple of monitors or more, this will not offer enough space or support to you.
Z-Line Designs Cyrus Workstation
- Contemporary style desk in a cherry finish with black accents
- Clear tempered glass with black border for safety
- Chrome cylinder glass supports. Weight- 71.72 pounds
- Pull-out keyboard tray with room for a mouse
- Castors for easy mobility
If you are looking for something with a contemporary look and a hint of traditional office furniture, then you can stop your search at the Cyrus Workstation. The dark cherry finish gives the desk an added element of elegance, and the tempered glass top takes it right over the edge.
You might not be able to place too much weight directly on the top shelf, as it may give in and begin to sag, but if you have smaller, lighter monitors, this should suffice. The desk itself is large enough to fit around three gaming consoles, plus a PC, comfortably.
Let’s look at some of the benefits:
- Nice dark cherry finish with a tempered glass tabletop
- Large enough to hold all of your console systems
- Pullout keyboard tray works very well and smoothly glides on the grooves
- Castor wheels provide easy mobility
- Middle support beam can also hide the cords to your devices
Some of the downfalls are:
- The caster wheels are not removable
- Particle board is too flimsy and will begin to droop after weight has been sitting on it for extended times.
- The cherry oak coating can easily peel off (don’t use any abrasive cleaner on this)
A solid option. While the cherry finish is nice, it’s also disturbing to find that it sometimes can peel off. It’s also unfortunate that the top shelf can after some time under weight. However, with the low cost of this desk, it is definitely a decent buy, especially in the short term.
If you want a more sturdy desk that is going to last you several years, this isn’t a product you want to look at. However, again, this is a viable short-term option.
07. The Best Desk for PC Gaming: DXRacer DGD/1000
DXRacer is a well known and well respected, brand in the realm of gaming chairs. While their desks are not as well known throughout the gaming community, anybody that has the first-hand experience with them probably understands just how awesome they really are.
The DGD/1000 sports an ergonomic design that, when paired with an ergonomic chair, makes it easy to game your day away without feeling any of the discomfort you would expect from sitting at a desk all day. It accomplishes this by incorporating a 10-degree slope in the surface of the desk so that your forearms can rest in their natural position helping to prevent and alleviate pain.
Of course, the surface area of the desk is large enough to place a couple of monitors on it plus your mouse and keyboard. However, other than that, there isn’t much in the way of workspace on this desk. This bad boy is strictly for gaming.
Pros of the DXRacer DGD/1000 are:
- Ergonomic design keeps pain to a minimum
- Very sturdy design
- 10-degree slope for comfortable gaming posture
- Easy to understand assembly instructions
- Excellent cord management system
Cons you will find with the DXRacer DGD/1000:
- Expensive and has zero space for anything more than your monitor, mouse, and keyboard
- Cannot comfortably fit a multi-monitor setup
- While the instructions for assembly are easy to follow, the labor is irritating at best.
- No space to put your PC
This desk right here is for the hardcore gamer who does not need space for anything other than his/her gaming rig. If you want to be able to conduct other types of work on this table you may find it a bit difficult.
It would seem that there are plenty of tables out there with the same ability as this desk for less money. However, what you are paying for here is the satisfaction that comes with products manufactured by DXRacer, as these guys almost always come through. If you’d like to read more, check out our in-depth DXRacer gaming desk review.
E-Blue USA Wireless Glowing LED PC Gaming Desk Table (MEDIUM(EGT511))
- World's 1st Glowing Desk for Gamers.
- Control Glowing Effect & Speed with Wireless remote.
- Designed with Best Suitable Height & Width for Long Gaming Hours.
- Powered by a ERGO Extended Desktop & Durable I-Shaped Feet Bar.
- Satin Finished Surface for Faster optical sensor reflections.
The main reason this makes our list is not because it is extremely sturdy and leaves you with plenty of space for all of your gaming peripherals. What takes the E-Blue over the top is that it GLOWS IN THE DARK.
Pros of the E-Blue gaming desk are:
- Large and that fits everything you need for gaming (console or PC will need to go somewhere else)
- LED lights work well and add ambiance to your setup
- LED has different color options
Cons of the E-Blue gaming desk are:
- Customer service is notoriously difficult to get a hold of
- Assembly instructions are laughably bad
This is a good desk with enough features to make you really want to buy it. The major problem is not with the desk though. If you are unlucky enough to get a desk is up to your standards, you will have a rough time trying to get in touch with the manufacturer.
If customer service were to be more of a sticking point for this company, this desk has a possibility be one of the best purchases on this list – especially for PC gaming.
The Bestar is probably the most expensive desk you will find on this list, but the usability is insane. We already know that U-shaped desks offer vasts amounts of surface space and are easily the most efficient, increasing productivity and workflow.
True, it is a monster to put together, but the final result is incredibly sturdy. Bestar is a top of the line furniture company, and this beast comes with a ten-year warranty. Not to mention the hutch for added space, too.
Pros of the Bestar Innova are:
- Large surface real estate allowing for increased workflow
- Open desk and return section are interchangeable for versatility
- The hutch gives you plenty of overhead space for storage
- Maybe the sturdiest desk we have on this list
Here are some of the cons of the Bestar Innova:
- Extremely heavy (most high-quality desks are)
- Despite have a lot of surface area you won’t be able to use more than a two monitor setup
- Fairly difficult to set up
If you are looking for a top-tier u-shaped desk and are willing to pay a premium price, then this is a desk worth taking a closer look at. The ability to change the desk around to fit your needs is going to be something you will come to enjoy if you are the type who likes to move your furniture around periodically.
Even better is the fact that you will be able to have all of your gaming and work needs in one centralized location, meaning you can game and work almost simultaneously.
The name would suggest that this is a desk for producers, and it has enough room and compartments to accommodate them.
However, who says producers are the only people who need a large, spacious area with separate compartments for their peripherals? Ultimately, it’s also great for gamers, as long as you do not mind having elevated monitors.
There is a dedicated pullout keyboard tray and even a pullout tray that will fit your PlayStation or Xbox (keep in mind that the ability to pull out the tray is awesome for airflow). There is also plenty of space at the bottom to place your PC.
If you have many gaming peripherals, then you’ll really enjoy the amount of space this desk gives you to place them without creating unwanted clutter.
Here are some of the pros of the RTA Producer Station:
- Ample amount of space (probably won’t need any additional equipment
- Way more compartments than you will probably need (great if you want to expand your setup)
- Long monitor shelf can appease one very large monitor or a multiple monitor setup
- Caster wheels for easy relocation (the outer casters lock for stability)
Some of the cons of the RTA desk are:
- Because it has caster wheels, it loses some stability (this is magnified when you have a lot of weight sitting on it)
- The monitor height is going to be uncomfortably high if you a little on the shorter side.
- Because there are so many different compartments on this desk setup can be tedious and will probably take some dedication to finish in an acceptable amount of time.
Again, this desk is geared specifically toward producers, it has tons of rack space on both sides which is generally not ideal for gaming, but since you have the option of whether or not you want to install some of those chambers, you can definitely convert this to a gamer desk.
With that said, you will probably be able to find a dedicating gaming desk for a little cheaper than you will purchase this one for. However, if you like the idea of having the option to swap from producer to gaming desk, and back again, you might find this a viable option.
Prepac WEHW-0200-1 Floating Desk with Storage, White
- Mount at any Height with Prepac metal hanging rail system
- Cable and wire management features keep your desk organized
- Side compartments with two removable shelves each are ideal for speakers, electronic devices, books, photographs and other personal items
- Store books, photographs and other items on the Top shelf
- Proudly manufactured in North America
Are you pressed for space? Do you only need a small area of your gaming setup? If so, then this floating desk is a great option for your gaming needs. Wall mounted gaming desks are a fun way to clear up some space in a room while adding an area that offers you a nice workstation as well.
The tabletop surface is roughly 37-inches and leaves you enough room for a smaller monitor with speakers on each side. There is plenty of storage space around the table though; you can place almost all of your peripherals on the setup without the worry of overloading your desk (as long as it does not weigh more than 100 pounds).
Let’s check out some of the pros:
- Floating wall-mounted desk is a clever way to add space to your room without losing the ability to have a work or gaming area
- Lightweight yet holds up to 100 pounds (be sure to install it properly)
- Perfect for most console gaming setups
- Different color options available
Now, let’s check out some of the cons:
- If you need a lot of room for a lot of equipment, this does not even come close to meeting your needs
- If you install this improperly, you risk ruining the wall and the desk
- There is no option for cable management
You may have a difficult time finding a place for your console (underneath a small, lightweight monitor would work) and you certainly won’t have enough space for PC gaming on this desk. However, if you are only looking for a desk to place a PlayStation, monitor, and maybe a headset and microphone on, the Prepac will work flawlessly for you.
This can still be a good beginner setup if you are only beginning your gaming adventures.
Bush Business Furniture Series A 72W Desk in Sienna Walnut and Bronze
- Thermally fused laminate finish fends off scratches and stains
- Open C-Leg design provides loads of legroom so you can work in comfort
- Wire management system includes leg and desktop grommets with channels on the modesty panel to keep cables under control
- Complete your workspace with a coordinating Hutch, Mobile File Cabinet, Keyboard Tray or Pencil Drawer (all sold separately)
- Series A makes the most of any space with endless configuration options and 7 attractive two-tone finishes to match your style
If you are a serious gamer, you need a desk with serious space. This Bush Business desk gives you that space you require in a gorgeous minimalist design. In short, it looks cleaner, keeps clutter to a minimum, and can help enhance your room’s feng shui.
The Series A desk from Bush Business is 72 inches wide, and can accommodate up to four small to medium-sized monitor (of course, you’ll need to purchase a bracket to hold these monitors). It still has enough space underneath the monitors for placing consoles and peripherals.
You’ll have holes on both sides of the desk to help you with cable management, and there are leg grommets with channels to keep them from being visible under the desk as well.
Here is a look at the pros of the Bush Business:
- Huge surface area that can hold everything you need for long gaming sessions
- Sturdy enough to support even the heaviest and most robust gaming setups
- Great cable management system throughout
- Seven different two-tone finish options available (slate and pewter are beautiful finishes)
- Minimalistic design yet allows for extreme gaming setups
- Laminate finish protects from scratching
- C-leg construction means you will have plenty of legroom
Now take a look at some of the cons:
- Needs a large area in the room because it is so wide
- Does not come with drawers (drawers made specifically for this are sold separately)
- Pretty expensive
- Help to put this together will be needed if you’re not accustomed to putting furniture together
Minimalist setups are at an all-time high in popularity right now, but so are robust gaming setups. This makes it particularly important to find a desk that allows you to fit all your gear while keeping things looking clean. Well, lo and behold, the Series A desk from Bush Business can do just that.
Are Desks Better for Gaming?
Well, this is a piece about the best gaming desks, so you can probably guess our answer to that question. Instead of just telling you that a gaming desk setup is the best way to go, we’re going to give you some reasons why this is so.
More Concentrated Setup
Sometimes you get home from a long day of work, and all you want to do is flop on the couch, turn your console on, and be transported to a virtual paradise where the only thing you have to worry about is how to get through the next wave of zombie hordes.
Other times you want to hop on your favorite fps game and slay bodies, this is when gaming desks are a huge upgrade.
With a gaming desk, everything you need for the best gaming session is right next to you, where you need it. From your console or PC to the monitor, even your modem and router (this is extremely important for a consistent connection during online play), everything is close to you making for a more enjoyable, and more importantly, more consistent experience.
When we sit on the couch we tend to slouch a lot more, this is not just terrible for our posture, but it also results in sub-par gaming performance.
A quality gaming desk, standing at the proper height, will help create an environment that promotes optimal posture, ultimately keeping you more alert mentally and physically (it probably isn’t hard for you to tell why this is important).
Far too often I hear people saying that gaming is for people who are too lazy to do anything but sit on the couch and waste their day away. This could not be further from the truth. Gaming is a test of both mental and physical endurance, and having the right posture could be the difference between you succeeding or failing to your opponent.
More Space Efficient
If you have a small gaming area, you may not have enough room to fit a sofa and all of the stuff that goes along with an entertainment system. Sure, most living rooms have plenty room for it (after all, that is what living rooms are made for). The problem is, you can’t always game in the living room if you live with other people.
Getting a gaming desk lets you use significantly less space and also allows you to configure your setup to your liking. This is not nearly as easy if you are “couch gaming.”
Better Sound & Audio
When you have a more condensed gaming area, you do not need nearly as much power in your speaker system. That is if you need one at all (most serious gamers use a quality gaming headset during our sessions).
However, say you do want to get an incredible sound for your computer/gaming console, you can do this with comparatively less money, and you can place them exactly where you want them to be, something that isn’t so easy with your surround system for the t.v.
This certainly won’t be the case for everyone, but typically couch gaming means using a dedicated gaming console. When you have a desk, you can implement PC gaming much easier, because your desktop computer is already there.
Now that you know some of the reasons we feel that gaming at a desk is a great idea for competitive gaming or just longer gaming sessions period. Let’s take a look at some things you should look at when deciding to purchase a desk for gaming.
The Best Desk for Gaming: Things to Consider
All desks are not going to be the right fit for every environment. When looking for a gaming desk, you should make sure it fits your individual needs. Just because your friend’s desk looks awesome, and works for him, doesn’t mean that it will work just as well for you.
That said there are a few things that every gaming desk should incorporate if it wants to be considered a quality option.
This is the most obvious requirement of a good gaming desk. It’s going to carry the weight of everything that is on top of it – duh. If the legs are weak, fragile, or wobbly, then you will be severely limited on what you can put on it. Make sure you get something with strong legs. Friends don’t let friends skip leg day. Even with gaming desks.
A good desk should have enough room for everything to sit on while still having a large enough area to place a mouse and keyboard on it so you can comfortably play your games.
You can add a little extra space by mounting your monitors to the wall, while that does give you some additional real estate, it is not going to make a huge difference. Be sure to consider everything that you will need to rest on the desk, including the equipment you expect to acquire later on.
The height of your desk is extremely important as well. If you spend several hours at your desk, you are going to want to be sure that it is not too short or too high. The reason for this is because ergonomic integrity is of the utmost importance when trying to maintain proper posture (remember when we discussed the importance of posture).
Have a desk that is too small, and you end up slouching while playing. Conversely, if your desk is too tall your strain your body peering up at your monitor. The good news here is that if you get a good gaming chair, then you will have some wiggle room in the desk height category.
These are the things that are universal for every computer desk. However, there are some other things that you should look into when deciding which desk is right for you.
How Many Monitors Do You Use?
This works in conjunction with the amount of surface are you will need for your desk. However, what is equally important is that you need to make sure your desk can handle the weight of the monitors you are using.
If you have a full-fledged gaming setup, complete with three to four monitors, we would recommend staying away from softer wood surfaces, as they will begin to sag in the middle over time, due to the weight of the monitor.
How Heavy is Your Equipment?
If you have a lot of equipment, and the cumulative weight of that equipment is fairly heavy, you are going to want to stay away from desks with plastic surfaces. Instead, opt for a desk with a sturdy surface that is going to hold up well over time.
How Much Space Do You Have?
Do you have a large room? Maybe you have a small amount of space available on two different sides of one corner of your room. The amount of space you have and where it is located in the room is going to be a huge factor in determining which desk is right for you.
If you only have a small corner of the room available to you, then an “L desk” is a perfect option for you. Obviously, the more space you have to work with, the larger desk you are capable of getting.
How Dusty is the Area You Live in?
If you live in a place where sand and dust rule (places like Arizona, New Mexico, or any other state/city where your house is prone to getting dust everywhere) then you should stay away from glass top desks or anything else that shows dust easily.
Are You a Rager?
Okay, so this may seem like a silly thing to ask. But really, if you are prone to breaking your controllers when you have been “quickscoped” in Call of Duty one too many times, then maybe you should steer clear of glass top desks. One fit of anger has the potential to shatter your gaming setup.
Do you have a lot of miscellaneous items littering your current play space? If you have things like controllers, chargers, aux cables, or anything else cluttering the top of your desk you may want to think about getting something that has drawer space under the surface.
This ties into the amount of room you have available a bit. Do you want a straight desk, L-desk, U-desk (or any other shape you can think of)? Figure this out before making your new purchase, just be sure you have the space necessary.
Do you like to stand up while gaming sometimes? Some desks are so advanced that they can conform to each person using it. A motorized desk utilizes hydraulic pistons that raise and lower the desk to the level that the operator chooses.
How many devices are you going to have? Do you hate the site of cables? If you are anything like most gamers out there, then you hate the sight of cables, and you have tons of peripherals on your desk as well (microphones, cameras, phone docks, controller chargers, etc.). If this sounds familiar, then you should make sure to get something that has built-in cable management systems. Some desks have “drop slots” that offer you a place to rest all of the cables in so they remain out of sight.
Another crucial aspect is the style. You are going to be spending hours on end at this desk, and even when you are not actively sitting, you will still be in the room that it is in. Make sure you get something that is visually appealing to your sense of style.
Now we know what some of the benefits you will receive from gaming at a desk, and what to look for in one. Let’s take a look at the different types that you will come across in your quest for your best gaming desk solution.
Types of Gaming Desks
There are many different types of desks available to you, each having their own benefits and each having their pitfalls. Let’s take an in-depth look at the various types you will find during your search.
Corner Gaming Desks
If you’d like to read more about these, check out our list of the 5 Best Corner Gaming Desks.
But briefly, these are ideal for those who don’t have a whole lot of space. They are decent for productivity, but because of their smaller size (generally speaking), you might not be able to fit everything on it.
Standing desks are quickly becoming all the rage these days. This is primarily due to the many studies showing that productivity goes way up when you are standing and working rather than sitting.
This is because it keeps your body more awake, and more alert. This is a huge benefit to you while gaming. Of course, standing desks do not mandate that you stand at all times, most of these will allow you to adjust the height so that you can lower it to waist-level when you feel the need to sit down for a while.
If you have limited amounts of space or you need a more portable setup, then a foldable desk is an excellent option for you.
If you have a ton of devices and peripherals, then we would not recommend getting a folding option. However, the ability to break your table down and store it somewhere out of the way is a godsend.
This setup is probably best for temporary fixes or if you have a gaming laptop that doesn’t take too much space and isn’t too heavy.
Laptop Lap Desk
If you don’t have a gaming PC, and instead game on your laptop, then you might want some extra stability, cushioning, and wrist support for those extended sessions. If this is you, we put together a list of the 5 best laptop gaming desks on the market.
U-shaped desks are awesome because they allow you to set up several different work zones in one compact area so that you are never too far away from anything, making it that much easier for you to be productive at all times.
The downside to these is that they require a lot of room, if you are going to be getting a u-shaped desk then you will need to have a dedicated room for it. Otherwise, you will quickly find that the room is too cluttered to be able to get comfortable.
L-Shaped Gaming Desks
L-shaped desks offer much of the versatility as its larger counterpart, the U-shaped desk. They’re great for productivity, and we go into them in greater detail in our post covering the 6 Best L Shaped Gaming Desks.
Of course, you can choose whichever desks you feel suits your needs best, but before making your purchase double, triple (heck even quadruple) check the amount of space you have available to you. You should also consider if you are going to add anything to your set up down the line, like another monitor, the last thing you want is to spend your hard earned money on something that gets rendered obsolete just months later because you added to your setup.
Cheap Gaming Desk Options
If you’re on a budget, we’ve got you covered. Check out our top picks of the 5 best cheap gaming desks on the market. These desks are not only great options, they’re wallet-friendly, too!
If you made it to the end of this article, then you have seen some of our favorite desks for gaming. From large, robust desks, to small wall mountable floating desks, each desk on this list runs the gamut of needs for any type of gamer.
Of course, you will have to determine which desk fits your needs best, but our favorite on this list is the Bush Business Series A desk for its ability to house every device you will need in one spot while also being able to accommodate a multi-monitor setup.
With that said, if you only need a small amount of space for your gaming setup, especially if you don’t have a lot of available floor space, then the Prepac Floating Desk is a very useful desk that can be used for gaming and working purposes alike.
One more very important thing to remember, is that proper posture is going to make a huge impact on how well you play, and how healthy your body is, utilize these gaming desks in conjunction with a quality gaming chair, and you will see the results of ergonomic gaming setups immediately.